When the sun cranks up the temperature during the summer, even our trusty appliances can feel the burn. Overheating components, relentless usage, and unexpected breakdowns can make your summer a sweaty nightmare. But fear not!
With a few simple maintenance tips, you can arm your appliances for the battle against the summer heat! And look at that; we have a handy guide ready for you — like magic!
1. Fridge Maintenance
When the weather gets hotter, the refrigerator needs to work extra hard to maintain cool temperatures. And unfortunately, without proper maintenance, the fridge can overheat or malfunction, leaving you with food that won't stay cold — yikes! But with these maintenance tips, sustaining the cooler temperatures will be much easier!
- Clean the condenser coils and keep them dust-free to cool the refrigerant quickly.
- Keep the fridge and freezer sections about ¾ full, so it's easier to cool (don't leave it crammed!).
- Double-check the seals are in good condition so the cold air doesn't escape.
- Clean the inside regularly to avoid buildup from happening in the gasket.
Pro Tip: If you have any other freezers or refrigerators, follow these tips as well!
2. Keep Dishes Sparkling
Another appliance that could use routine summer maintenance is the dishwasher! With longer, sunnier days and the kids on vacation, the dishes pile up much faster than they used to, which can strain the dishwasher. So, to keep it running in sparkling shape, use these tips to maintain it!
- Don't overload the machine; always break up huge loads into smaller groups so it doesn't overburden the washer.
- Clean the filter regularly and remove any food debris as you go along.
- Keep it closed when not in use to prevent dust from settling inside.
- Regularly clean the door frame and gaskets with a soft brush or sponge (look for gaps and cracks as you go along!)
- Run an empty cleaning cycle occasionally to keep it in tip-top shape!
3. Make Your Washer Unstoppable
With summer comes more activities like soccer, hiking, swimming at the beach, and other things, which means more things to wash! All those extra loads and heavier materials (like the towels) will put extra strain on your washer. To avoid that, try to:
- Wash in smaller loads and avoid washing carpets or rubber mats.
- Leave the door open when not in use to let the moisture dry all the way.
- Clean inside the drum with a damp cloth to remove any slimy buildup.
- Use the right amount of detergent with each load so it dissolves properly.
- Always use the correct settings so you don't use heavy-duty settings for a load that doesn't need it.
- Check the hoses for any signs of wear and tear; don't forget to check that everything is connected correctly!
4. Dryer Maintenance
Along with the washer, the dryer experiences similar issues with being overworked during the summer months. But you also have to worry about the potential for fires, so clean your vents and the filters often! Other maintenance you can do include:
- Avoid overloading the machine so you don't have to run it multiple times to dry everything.
- Occasionally clean the lint catcher with water and mild detergent to clean it.
- Inspect the drum for any signs of damage or wear.
- Clean the outside of the appliance as well, so the dust and grime don't get inside.
5. The Stove That Keeps On Cooking
Another appliance you should routinely maintain in the summer is the stove! Making sure everything works properly will keep your stove in good shape and prevent any risk of fire! So, with that in mind, try the following:
- Checking the oven temp accuracy—if things keep coming out under-done or overdone, you might need to get it looked at.
- Clean the oven and stovetop regularly to prevent buildup from gunking up the appliances.
- Double-checking the gas connections (if you have a gas range or cooktop) to avoid possible fire.
- Clean up spills right when they happen!
Bonus: Keep the Ice Coming
If you have an ice maker, your summer goes by much cooler — so long as it's in working order! But because you use it so much, you'll need to take care of it by inspecting for leaks, making sure it's adequately ventilated, replacing the water filter, and regularly cleaning it. To clean it, you'll need to do a few steps, including:
- Unplug the machine, empty the ice bin, and wash it with mild dish soap.
- Turn off the water supply, remove the drain cap, and let the water pan drain.
- Fill the machine with the recommended amounts of ice machine cleaner and water, and plug it back in.
- Replace the bin and run a complete cleaning cycle.
- Dump the first batch of ice, refill the pan with water, run a second cleaning cycle, and dispose of that ice.
- Reconnect the machine to your water supply and enjoy the ice!
Enjoy Your Summer!
Now that you know more about maintaining your appliances, you can enjoy your summer without any headaches — at least from your kitchen or laundry room. But if your appliances are old and can't keep up with the heat, our appliance selection at Leonardi Appliance has everything you need!
Have any questions? Give us a call or stop by — our team will help you find top-notch appliances to make your day-to-day run smoother!